Water damage in your home is caused by water that pools in one area within your home’s interior. A plethora of problems occur from water damage. Not only are your valuables damaged, but water can ruin the structure of your home. The walls, floors, and ceilings can all be compromised. Fixing these issues can be very costly. Along with maintaining your home to deter water damage, having a good homeowner’s insurance policy is very important. Many Floridians are aware of coastal flooding and flooding caused by hurricanes and tropical storms. But, your home can flood even on a sunny day. Here are some ways that can happen:
• Pipes that leak or burst. Cracks in plumbing are commonplace in homes. A backed up toilet or shower drain can cause pipes to burst. Tree roots can grow into the lines, cracking them open.
• Appliances that require water such as a refrigerator, washing machine, dishwasher and hot water heater can all malfunction and cause water damage from leaks in the pipes.
• Roof leaks. Check your roof for damage, which can allow rainwater to creep inside of your home.
• Shower tiles and caulking that are cracked or broken can allow water behind the tile and into the wall. Inspect your showers and repair/replace any damaged pieces.
Water damage can lead to an unhealthy living environment. Mold spores in the air are drawn to moisture, which can turn into black mold. Black mold is a dangerous type of mold that can cause serious illnesses. Here in Florida, the temperature is perfect for black mold to grow. Once water damage has occurred, mold can run rampant in your walls, flooring and ceilings. At this point, you will need to get a restoration company to assess the damage and fix the mold problem.
There are steps that you can take to prevent home water damage.
• Remove debris from gutters and downspouts.
• Check all household appliance hoses for leaks.
• Maintain window seals by re-caulking when needed. Rain water can seep inside cracks in the window seal and ruin walls and flooring.
• If you leave your home for a vacation, make sure that you turn off your water heater and the water source itself. It is devastating to return home to a flooded home.
Costs can skyrocket with any type of water damage. Double check your homeowner’s insurance policy to see if water damage is covered. If you need to add it to your policy or want to review your options, please give us a call. The advisors here at Centennial Insurance Services are experts in Florida homeowners and flood insurance. Call us at 239-247-5125 or visit us online for a quote or to schedule an appointment at cisinsfl.com
The post Water Damage is Not Always Caused by Floods appeared first on .